Man charged after shot fired at Queanbeyan home

Fragments from the bullet that was fired into a Queanbeyan home. Photo: Melissa Adams Bullet marks at the home. Photo: Karleen Minney


A man has been charged with 10 offences including stalking and assault after a shot was allegedly fired at the window of a home in Queanbeyan.

Paul John Barnes, 46, was refused bail at Queanbeyan Local Court on Thursday.

When refusing bail the registrar said she had considered the safety of the occupants of the house and the community, and the serious, violent nature of the charges against the accused.

She said she believed these to be unacceptable risks, and there were no bail conditions that would mitigate the risks, with the accused’s only place of residence in close proximity to the victims’ home.

On Wednesday at about 1am, police were called to a property on Fergus Road after receiving reports a gun had been fired at the house.

The occupants, a 31-year-old man, an 18-year-old man and a 17-year-old girl, were uninjured.

Police from Monaro Local Area Command established a crime scene at the property.

Following further investigations, officers arrested Barnes in Anne Street, Queanbeyan, at about 7.45pm on Wednesday, and took him to the police station.

Officers searched the home on Anne Street, where they allegedly found illicit drugs and other items connected to the offence.

Police said they seized nine cannabis plants ranging from 30cm to two metres tall and hidden under a blue tarpaulin.

Police also allege the accused had on one occasion pointed a shotgun at the 17-year-old girl, and on another occasion pointed a shotgun at the 31-year-old.

On the second occasion, the 31-year-old man said the accused had threatened to shoot him. The 31-year-old said he didn’t care and heard a click when the accused pulled the trigger, police will allege.

The accused has denied owning a shotgun.

On another occasion, the 31-year-old man alleged Barnes threw a coffee over him and his dog.

Barnes was charged with four counts of stalking/intimidation, three counts of common assault, two counts of cultivating a prohibited plant and one count of possessing a prohibited drug.

He is due back in Queanbeyan Local Court on January 25.

Police said investigations into the matter are continuing.