Fox Street McDonald’s attack: Wagga man sentenced to prison

DEEP FRIED FRACUS: A group of mates were set upon by car thieves in the car park of the Fox Street McDonald’s.THEY were just a few mates waiting for their friend to knock off work for the night.

杭州桑拿

Little did they know they were about to be set upon by a group of men desperate to take their wheels.

Kooringal man Joshua Claude Phillips and his co-accused claimed “racism” when their victims expressed surprise that they were hiding in the bushes of the Fox Street McDonald’s at night.

“S***, there’s people there,” said the driver, according to agreed police facts, of the men hiding out in front of his car.

The quip would be the catalyst for a horror turn of events, where the three mates were told to get out of the car, while the driver was threatened with “shanking”.

“He (one of the men) asked us ‘do you want to die?’ and I said no, not really,” one of the victims, Jade, told theAdvertiserin 2014.

When a late-night Macca’s run turns into a life and death experience “They told me to get out.”

The driver, Nick, who was 21,tried his best to conceal the keys by his lap, but was unsuccessful.

One of the attackers had seen it.Within minutes, the trio had stolen the Holden Rodeo and were on their way out of Wagga, as had been their plan for days.

Police facts said Phillip’s mates had arrived from Sydney and Canberra to help him move but in doing soran out of money, and were unable to find their way home.

A day before the McDonald’sattack, the men attempted to return home on the XPT service, but were booted off at Junee and Harden by train staff for fare evasion.

With a set of wheelsand no one to stop them, they were on the road to Gundagai.

But fuel would be the fatal flaw in their plan.

Running empty, they stopped at the South Gundagai Shell where they refuelled with $90 in petrol, failingto pay.

At 3.21am, just three hours after stealing the ute, a service station attendant reported the theft.

It matched the car’s registration.

Highway patrol officers found the ute on the side of the road near Yass and arrested the men.

On Monday, Phillips, the only Wagga accused, was sentenced to seven months’ prison, with a two-month non-parole period.

At the time of the ordeal, controversy ensuedbecause McDonald’s staff refused victims entry into the store.

But owner Tony Aichinger was unapologetic and saidstaff followed safety and security protocol. Mr Aichingersaid.

Daily Advertiser, Wagga

Windred breezes through day one plan for Lake Macquarie Amateur

POSITIVE: Blake Windred was the leading Hunter golfer on day one following a three-under 69. Picture: Jonathan Carroll.BLAKE Windred followed his Lake Macquarie Amateurgame plan to a tee on Thursday bykeeping in touchwith the leaders,despitedrawingadifficult afternoon tee-off.

杭州桑拿

The 18-year-old Charlestown member’s three-under 69 was the second-lowest score of the afternoon group at Belmont and placed him eighth andfour strokes behind Western Australian leader Ben Ferguson (65).

Temperatures reached 35 degrees in the afternoon, but Windred still managed four birdies and one bogey.

Windred will tee off in the morning on Friday and sees that as his best opportunity to chase down the leaders.

“When I saw that I was off in the afternoon and saw how hot it was going to be, I thought I’ve got to get through today a couple under and set it up for the next round when I’m off in the morning,” Windred said.

“Definitely tomorrow morning if I can get some good conditions and turn through nine a few under and hole some putts on the back nine, thenyou never know.”

Ferguson was impressive in the morning, carding an eagle, seven bogeys and two bogeys. Daniel Kolar (66), Cameron John (67) and James Grierson (67) also tamed Belmont’s seaside layout.

The Vintage’s Dylan Perry (70) keptHunter hopes alive when he carded a near flawless round, before bogeying the 18th.

The South Koreans were expected to dominant the women’s division and the prediction proved correct.

MISTAKE: Hannah Green’s round was ruined by a tee shot on the seventh, which sailed over the fence and resulted in a triple bogey. Picture: Jonathan Carroll.

Last week’s Australian Amateur champion,Min-Ji Park, opened with five-under 68 in the morning groupto take a one-shot lead over fellow KoreansHye-Jin Choi andGa-Young Lee.

West Australian and Belmont favourite, Hannah Green, was breathing down Park’s neck at five under through her first 15holes.

On the sevenththe Australian No.1unravelled when she sliced theball off the tee and over a fence. Green finished with a triple bogey and then lostanother shot on the next holeto beeighthon 72.

Robyn Choi, from the Gold Coast’s Royal Pines, carded 70 to sit fourth and isthe only Australian in the top seven.

Last image of Jaafa Dawlat released before body found in Duck River

Police have released security footage of Jaafa Dawlat, whose body was found floating face down in Sydney’s Duck River. Photo: NSW Police Security footage of Jaafa Dawlat’s car. Photo: NSW Police

杭州桑拿

Jaafa Dawlat, whose body was found floating face down in Sydney’s Duck River. Photo: Supplied

A fisherman found Jaafa Dawlat’s body floating face down in a Sydney river – a waterway previously used by criminals as a dumping ground.

One month later, police still have no idea how he died.

There were no visible signs of injury and the results of his autopsy were inconclusive.

But police have pinpointed his last known movements and released security footage of him and his car to see if anyone saw anything in the lead-up to his death.

Mr Dawlat was last seen parking his car on Gifford Street, Silverwater, on Sunday, December 27, about 4.30pm.

Four days later, his body was found face down in the Duck River – close to where he left his car. He was wearing dark adidas shorts and a dark Everlast T-shirt.

Detectives have also released footage of Mr Dawlat’s silver Mitsubishi Lancer with the number plates BLW33P.

Water police retrieved the body from the river at Clyde near an old oil refinery close to Silverwater Correctional Complex.

He was identified after a friend recognised his tattoos, including one that read “JD” on his right hand.

“It’s an unusual situation, but we are not treating it as suspicious; it’s just unusual,” Rosehill police acting crime manager Adam Wharfe said.

The body was found close to where Darren Galea’s body was found under the Duck River Bridge in Auburn.

Mr Galea, 34, was shot in the head at close range two years ago in what police said was most likely a case of mistaken identity.

Police are urging anyone with information to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000. \n”,colour:”green”, title:”Car found”, maxWidth:200, open:0},{lat:-33.82929, lon:151.04589, text:”

Body found*/]]>

Man charged after shot fired at Queanbeyan home

Fragments from the bullet that was fired into a Queanbeyan home. Photo: Melissa Adams Bullet marks at the home. Photo: Karleen Minney

杭州桑拿

A man has been charged with 10 offences including stalking and assault after a shot was allegedly fired at the window of a home in Queanbeyan.

Paul John Barnes, 46, was refused bail at Queanbeyan Local Court on Thursday.

When refusing bail the registrar said she had considered the safety of the occupants of the house and the community, and the serious, violent nature of the charges against the accused.

She said she believed these to be unacceptable risks, and there were no bail conditions that would mitigate the risks, with the accused’s only place of residence in close proximity to the victims’ home.

On Wednesday at about 1am, police were called to a property on Fergus Road after receiving reports a gun had been fired at the house.

The occupants, a 31-year-old man, an 18-year-old man and a 17-year-old girl, were uninjured.

Police from Monaro Local Area Command established a crime scene at the property.

Following further investigations, officers arrested Barnes in Anne Street, Queanbeyan, at about 7.45pm on Wednesday, and took him to the police station.

Officers searched the home on Anne Street, where they allegedly found illicit drugs and other items connected to the offence.

Police said they seized nine cannabis plants ranging from 30cm to two metres tall and hidden under a blue tarpaulin.

Police also allege the accused had on one occasion pointed a shotgun at the 17-year-old girl, and on another occasion pointed a shotgun at the 31-year-old.

On the second occasion, the 31-year-old man said the accused had threatened to shoot him. The 31-year-old said he didn’t care and heard a click when the accused pulled the trigger, police will allege.

The accused has denied owning a shotgun.

On another occasion, the 31-year-old man alleged Barnes threw a coffee over him and his dog.

Barnes was charged with four counts of stalking/intimidation, three counts of common assault, two counts of cultivating a prohibited plant and one count of possessing a prohibited drug.

He is due back in Queanbeyan Local Court on January 25.

Police said investigations into the matter are continuing.